Day 127, Year 7: Back to Work
Date: Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Weather: Partly Sunny Day
Location: Brewer Fiddler’s Cove Marina, N Falmouth, MA

Mark went back to work at West Marine-uh (Jonah’s pronunciation, like
marina) today. He could tell by the level of activity that we are not the
only ones who think spring has sprung. In December when he was essentially
laid-off for the winter, there were very few customers. But today Mark said
it was a busy place. And a big sale starts tomorrow so I’m sure it will be
busier on Friday, his next work day. He is only scheduled to work a day or
two a week for now. If his energy level holds, he will be working more days
as summer draws near. But working fewer days for now is a good thing as we
also have to find time to do the work on the deck in the next few weeks. So
the lazy days of winter are gone.

After I took Mark to work this morning, I went to the grocery store to buy
quart canning jars. And then I came home and proceeded to fill them with
food for storage. After yesterday’s big shopping spree, I am rethinking the
food storage spaces on the boat. I am also changing from plastic to glass
storage containers, thus the quart canning jars. Using glass on a boat is
difficult, but Heather has convinced us that it is better for the world and
for our health. The morning went quickly and then it was back to town to
have a quick lunch with Mark and then on to Woods Hole to pick up Sam and
Jonah. I took them home instead of coming to the boat today since I had to
pick Mark up at West Marine at 5 pm. Heather was home when we got there.
She is slowly getting back to normal, or at least as normal as you can be
when you are less than a month from having a baby. Whatever this bug was
really threw her for a loop, and we are both so happy to see her feeling
better. And while on the topic of health, I’ll report that Mark continues
to be feeling great. He is not nearly as cold-sensitive during this second
week after a chemo treatment and he has been successful in keeping the mouth
sores away this time. He’s convinced that he will have no enamel left on
his teeth after the chemo treatments because he brushes his teeth multiple
times a day. But that, along with the vinegar and salt mouth wash, have
done the trick after the second treatment.

Tomorrow is a “work on the boat” day. I’ll be bringing the boys here in the
afternoon so they can help Mark remove the caulk from the teak deck. Mark
showed them how to do this yesterday and both of them were very enthusiastic
about coming back and helping Granddad.