Day 353, Year 6: Laundry, Grandkids, and Boat Work
Date: Wednesday, October 12, 2011
Weather: Mostly Cloudy, Temps in the 60’s
Location: Eel Pond, Woods Hole, Massachusetts

The memory of our beautiful warm weekend is all that is keeping us warm as the temperature continues to drop. Instead of sunny and in the 70’s, it is now cloudy and in the 60’s. Add to that the fact that we have a 70 per cent chance of rain for tomorrow and Friday, and you have a pretty bleak forecast. Sunshine should return on Saturday, but it looks like high temps in the 60’s is the best we can hope for in the next week. At least it’s not freezing yet, so I think we should count our blessings.

This morning we decided to go to Heather and Jed’s so I could do a proper job of cutting Mark’s hair. While cruising we would take one of our beach chairs to shore and do the job there. Sometimes I would do this on the back deck, but that doesn’t work when the wind is blowing. Last week I tried to cut his hair in the cockpit, but I didn’t do a great job. So this morning we decided to go where no wind blows-inside Heather and Jed’s house. While there I did some of our laundry and then it was back to Woods Hole to pick up Sam and Jonah and came back to the boat for naps again today. Granddad lay down with Sam and got a bit of nap before getting up and starting to work on rewiring the boat. Today he spent his time taking out old wires that go nowhere as he prepares to install a system monitor for our battery system. This same system will be able to monitor other things like bilge pump cycles, fuel tank levels, and our 110 volt system, but all of that will come later. Right now we just need a more accurate way of monitoring our charging system.

Heather called and had me come to shore to pick her up late this afternoon, so she was here when the boys woke up from their naps. Then I went with Heather and boys to the local playground for a run around before they headed home. Once I got back to Windbird, we had a Skype call with Justin, Jo, and Ziggy. The internet connection was terrible this evening-off and on. Once we had our Ziggy hit, we gave up on the Skype and called Justin on the phone. Technology didn’t work perfectly for us, but at least we got to see Ziggy for a bit. We’ll try again in a few days.