Day 301, Year 6: Sunday FUNday
Date: Sunday, August 21, 2011
Weather: Overcast with Sun Trying Hard to Shine, Winds SW 20
Location: Eel Pond, Woods Hole, Massachusetts

We started our day with a Skype call to Tina and Zbyszek of Shirena (in Turkey). We were online and saw they were on Skype, so we just had to call. We both had our Skype cameras on, so we got to see each other for the first time in a year and a half. It was great talking to them. Then it was time to get on with our day.

When you are a sailor, sometimes you just have to sail for your soul. And that’s what we ended up doing today. We thought we were going to be working at Heather and Jed’s helping to get the site ready for the shed we will be assembling in the next few weeks. But doing that required renting a mulcher/shredder to clear the site, and that was not available today. So my suggestion was, “Let’s go sailing.” I can feel fall coming, and I have this driving need to get out there and sail while we can. Getting no resistance, that’s just what we did. Heather, Jed, Sam, and Jonah arrived just after noon and we made the 1:00 pm bridge opening. Living in protected Eel Pond is deceptive. It is always calm in the pond, but once we got through the bridge we had 20 knots of wind and choppy seas. I had hoped to sail south between Martha’s Vineyard and the Elizabeth Islands, but the wind was coming from that direction so we sailed east along the top of Martha’s Vineyard all the way to Chappaquiddick. We didn’t intend to sail that far, but the wind and the current were headed that way and we just went with it. Both little ones got a nap and even Heather and Jed got a bit of rest, so it was hopefully a relaxing day for them. Jonah is a bit of a reluctant sailor, but after his nap, he really got into the sailing. Sam is Mr. Sailor Man and takes his role as co-captain very seriously. When he finally decided it was time for a nap, he checked with the captain to make sure he would be alright until he (Sam) was back on duty. Too cute!!! It was a great sail today and even though we went further than we planned, we were still back in Eel Pond by 6:30 pm and dinner was ready to be served. After dinner, Granddad took the boys for a little dinghy ride around Eel Pond. Jonah drove the dinghy with Granddad’s assistance and Sam was on bow watch. He loves looking out to make sure they are not going to hit anything and once in a while he has Granddad put the engine in neutral so he can put down a sounding line to check the depth. I can’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday afternoon. It was definitely FUNday on Windbird.