Day 213, Year 10: About to Have a Fit
Date: Monday, May 11, 2015
Weather: Sunny; Fog in the Evening
Location: Quissett Harbor, Falmouth, Massachusetts

We are just about to have a Fit . . . a Honda Fit, that is. After the drive home last night, we decided it was time to buy a car. So in between Mark’s doctor appointments today, we went car shopping. By the end of the day we bought a five year-old Honda Fit with 53,000 miles on it. We are buying it from the Honda dealer and it is certified meaning that we will have a full year or 12,000 mile warranty and a three-year warranty on the drive-train. The only hitch is the interest rate. We don’t know what that will be yet. If it is reasonable, we will close the deal. If not, we might have to shop around or reconsider. But for now it looks like we will be driving the new car in just a few days.

Mark’s early appointment today was just routine blood tests done prior to each cancer treatment infusion. The early afternoon appointment was to have a doctor check out his shoulder. The diagnosis is that he has stretched or torn the supraspinatus muscle in his shoulder. This muscle connects the shoulder blade to the upper arm bone. An MRI will confirm that, but we have to wait for a call from the hospital radiology department in order to schedule the MRI. In the meantime, he should keep icing it and step up the Ibuprofen regimen. Right now he just takes a couple here and there. But if he is to reduce the inflammation, he will need to take it on a regular basis. After this appointment we drove all the way back to Hyannis (about 45 minutes) to close the deal on the car. We finally stopped to get something to eat around 3 pm, but we obviously waited too long. While we were closing the deal on the car, Mark got disoriented. On the drive home, I got very worried that something serious was wrong, but a little rest as I drove completely revived him. I was headed to the hospital emergency room, but by the time I got there he was fine. We’ll have to have this checked out, but I think he was suffering from low sugar levels. He is used to eating something about every three hours and that just didn’t happen today.

Today was crazy busy and tomorrow promises more of the same. We are taking the bus to Boston in the morning, taking the T (subway) to visit with Sue and John Reed in Cambridge, taking the T back to Mass General for Mark’s appointment, and then hitching a ride home with Jed. He has to leave in the wee hours of the morning for a meeting in Boston, so we opted to take the bus a little later in the morning but then drive home with him. Busy as it will be, I will make sure Mark has things to snack on. And Sue Reed has invited us for an early lunch, so that will assure that Mark has plenty to eat.