2021 Life Logs, Day 146: Covid and Lyme Disease Issues
Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2021
Weather: Foggy; High 68, Low, 60 degrees F
Location: At Home in The Cottage, East Falmouth, MA
While shopping at Costco with friend Jane Woodin, my phone rang. It was Justin, so I answered even though I was in a store. He had what he said was “not so good news.” He has Covid and he thinks Coco and Ziggy do as well. They are not sure about Jo as any symptoms she has are very slight. But all will be tested tomorrow. This past weekend, Coco got what they thought was a cold, but it was gone the next day. Then Ziggy got the ‘cold’ and then Justin. Ziggy and Justin both have respiratory symptoms, but it was a headache that sent Justin to town to get tested this morning. He has never had a headache in his life and knew that could mean this was not really a cold but Covid. He tested positive. Justin and Jo were scheduled to get their second Moderna vaccine next week, so hopefully having had the first vaccine they will not be hit too hard. Please hope with me that this will be the case.
If Covid doesn’t get you, you then have to worry about the Deer ticks and Lyme disease. Heather and Jed have spent full time this week dealing with the doctors at Children’s Hospital trying to sort out the next steps for Ollie. They had a Zoom meeting with the Infectious Disease specialist yesterday at 4 pm and basically all she could them is that research indicates that giving Ollie more antibiotics will do no good. There are no tests to that will tell them whether or not he still has Lyme, so they just need to wait and see if it rears its ugly head again. This is not very reassuring. Regardless, Ollie has to return to Children’s Hospital in Boston on Friday to have fluid removed from his knee and to have a cortisone shot. This time they are going to anesthetize him, and that requires that he goes to Children’s in Boston tomorrow for a Covid test. The test has to be done at the same hospital where the procedure will take place on Friday and they will not make an exception. And the procedure has to take place at Children’s. Ugh. This is so complicated and time consuming.
Now add to all this that Heather found a Deer tick attached to her arm yesterday. It has been sent away and she will know on Monday or Tuesday if she is infected. And this afternoon when I took Ollie home from school, he got a cut on his finger that just would not stop bleeding. Heather was not home, so Jed took him to the Urgent Care. They had to wait quite a while for it stop bleeding and then have the cut glued. As Heather said, “What else can happen?” I don’t want to know the answer to that question.
Ollie got home from Urgent Care and Heather reported that he was chipper. I talked to Justin just now and he is feeling better and that Jo’s rapid test came back negative. I just hope things stay on this positive trajectory and we have no more issues!

