Day 340, Year 9: Back to Gorgeous Weather
Date: Friday, September 26, 2014
Weather: Mostly Sunny, High in the Upper 60’s
Location: Quissett Harbor, Falmouth, Massachusetts

It was back to gorgeous weather today—sunshine, blue skies, and a temperature warm enough to be comfortable. The evenings cool off quickly, but I have no complaints since the days are so beautiful. And it is supposed to be warmer tomorrow and Sunday. Looks like a great fall weekend. Today we worked on the boat until time to pick Ollie up at daycare at 1 pm. We took him home for his nap and immediately launched into sanding and varnishing the Dorade boxes. Today was coat number four. I was hoping to get eight coats on, but that is not going to happen. I will sand and varnish tomorrow between soccer games, but I doubt that I will have time on Sunday. I’ll put on coat number six on Monday and that is going to be it for now . . . unless the weather forecast changes. Next week looks rainy and rainy weather and varnishing just don’t mix. Even when you do it inside, the humidity can cause the varnish to look cloudy. So I’ll be satisfied with six coats and just put on extra coats next spring.

While Ollie slept and I finished varnishing, Granddad went to pick Sam and Jonah up from school. Mark and I encouraged Heather to stay at work this afternoon to try and get things done so she can relax this weekend. She accomplished her goal and will now to be able to ‘play’ with the boys. Tomorrow morning we’ll all go to the soccer field at 9 am and again at 12 noon. In between, Mark and I will sand and varnish. After Sam’s noontime game, we will all head out to Quissett to Windbird. It is going to be sunny and warm, but unfortunately there will not be enough wind to sail. But we’re going out anyway as it will give us a chance to try out the new heading sensor that Mark installed recently. If it doesn’t work in calm weather, then at least we’ll know it is not going to work at all. One way or the other, it will be nice to know. Heather and the boys will then have dinner and spend the night on Windbird. It might be their last chance before we head south for the winter. Depending on Mark’s health report next Wednesday and depending on the weather, we could be leaving as soon as next weekend. It’s not looking likely with the current forecast, but it changes daily. We’ll just wait and see.

Day 341, Year 9: Super Soccer Sailing Saturday
Day 339, Year 9: Rainy, Rainy Day