2017 Life Logs, Day 294: Catch-Up Day
Date: Saturday, October 21, 2017
Weather: Still Warm and Sunny; High 70, Low 53 degrees F
Location: At Home in The Studio, Falmouth, MA

Today was a nice chance of pace. I couldn’t make phone calls to inquire about things for Justin and Jo, so I took the opportunity to catch-up on my own affairs. I went to Zumba this morning and then to the post office to mail another package to Puerto Rico. Just as I was turning into the drive-way, my phone rang. I took a quick look and saw it was Justin, so I answered immediately. He called to let me know that all is well and that they were driving north today to try and buy a milk goat. They heard that someone north of Aguadilla still has goats, and while they were near Aguadilla they were going to Maximo Solar to check out solar systems. I have researched Maximo’s mini off-grid set-up, but the website doesn’t go into detail about the type of batteries that come with the system. Before I could tell Justin to get specific information on the batteries, the call dropped. Justin did explain that “they” (I assume he means FEMA workers, army personnel, or volunteers from the states) are now starting the clean-up of fallen telephone and electrical lines. The people that live in the area cleared the roads of fallen trees and poles the poles after the storm, but they didn’t touch the lines. When he said that they have just been driving over them, I tried not to gasp too loudly! But the clean-up “they” are doing seems to be causing people who have had internet connectivity of sorts to now have none at all. He also said that packages are coming more slowly than they were. The post office in Rincon has told them that there are at least a half million packages in San Juan and not enough personnel to process them even though they are working 24-hours a day. I know things always have to get worse before they get better, but I sure hope things get better quick. The call was short, but it was wonderful to hear that all is well. I next turned my attention to playing the catch-up game. My monthly bills go out automatically through on-line banking, but those bills that are a different amount each month like the electricity bill need to be updated by a human—me. I have paid absolutely no attention to this since the hurricane hit five weeks ago, so I was too late for some things, but that’s no big deal. I finished that job and started the process of checking on things that have been sent to Justin and Jo. I set up a spreadsheet listing donations and how that money has been or will be spent. I thought I would get that done on Monday when I first returned from New Hampshire, so I’m only six days behind on that job. And somehow, when I looked at the clock it was 5:30 pm. I jumped in the car to go to Heather’s to get jars and the pressure canner so I could can the chicken mineral broth I made on Thursday. I have spent my evening doing that and now it is time to get off this computer and read myself to sleep. Another day in the life.

2017 Life Logs, Day 360: Food Shopping on Boxing Day
2017 Life Logs, Day 284: Good News from Justin