Day 145, Year 10: Birthday Wish
Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2015
Weather: Mostly Sunny, Winds SE 15, Temp in the 70’s F
Location: No Name Harbor, Bill Baggs Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, FL

My wish for my birthday tomorrow is that we would be in the Bahamas. And if things go as planned, we will definitely be in Bahamian waters sometime tomorrow afternoon. Where we land to check in will depend on the wind, but our strategy is to check in and then get as far south in the Exuma chain of islands as we can before the strong SE trade winds start blowing again. We will get a break in the trades starting tomorrow afternoon, but how long that break lasts depends on many factors. So we’re taking this trip one baby step at a time.

This morning we got up at 6:30 am to listen to Chris Parker’s weather and then discussed various strategies for reaching the Bahamas. We didn’t settle on one strategy as we want to wait and hear tomorrow morning’s weather before doing so, but we did definitely decide that we would be leaving. So we headed to shore to do the last minute provisioning. We needed some things from CVS which required a long walk into town and then we returned to The Fresh Market on the waterfront to do the food shopping, mostly fresh veggies, bread, and yogurt. Once we got back to Windbird, we ate lunch and prepared for take-off. We motored about five miles across Biscayne Bay to little No Name Harbor in the Cape Florida State Park. Lee and Lynda sailed up from the Keys to join us here, so we planned to have dinner at the Boater’s Grill in the harbor and discuss sailing plans. But first, we had Skype calls with our kids and grandkids. We had planned to talk to them separately, but Justin called while we were on with Heather and Skype automatically connected all of us as a conference call. What fun! It was wonderful being able to see all of the grandchildren at one time, but the absolute highlight was when they all sang happy birthday to me. I was one happy Oma.

Note: Once we leave here tomorrow morning, we will no longer have internet or cell service. We should be able to send the logs and receive email via Ham radio, but don’t be alarmed if tomorrow night’s log is not posted. It won’t mean there is a problem. It would be because of a technical difficult. But if that should happen, we’ll get it worked out as soon as possible. I say “we” but it is really our son Justin that deals with the techie problems.

150304 Day 145 Florida, USA–Windbird in No Name Harbor, Key Biscayne
Day 146, Year 10: Almost There
Day 144, Year 10: Ready, Set, Go . . . or Not