Day 43, Year 1: Slow Moving
Date Tuesday, November 29, 2005
Weather: Strong SE Winds, Overcast
Air Temperature: 70 degrees F
Water Temperature: 90.5 degrees F
Latitude: N 35 degrees 17.8 minutes
Longitude: W 73 degrees 09.2 minutes
Location: Passage from Norfolk to St. Martin, Day 3

We have motored for three straight days now and not gotten very far. It seems we have a knack for high winds coming from the wrong direction. We think we have gotten out of the Gulf Stream, but the water temperature has not dropped. Not sure what that is about, but all we can do at this point is keep motor sailing into the southeast wind and wait for a front that should come through tomorrow. That will bring a wind shift and eventually northerly winds that will help to blow us south. We were finally successful in joining in the weather net today and talked with Herb Hilgenberg. He is the weather guru for sailors in the Atlantic and he thinks if we can hold out one more night, things will be much better tomorrow. I certainly hope so.

We are still riding the bucking bronco, but not quite as bad as yesterday. That’s because we have turned slightly southwest. It is difficult to do anything other than sit in the cockpit until things settle down. Neither Mark nor I can stay below for very long without starting to feel the effects. We can sleep below, but have to come up quickly after getting up.

Not much out here to report in terms of wildlife. We had one seagull following us much of the day and lots of Sargasso weed floating in the water. That’s about it. I’ll hope to check in tomorrow with better news. For those of you who have e-mailed, I will reply as soon as conditions are better. Writing the log for now is about as much as I can do while sitting below. We are safe and that is the important thing. Things are just a little uncomfortable for now.

051129 Day 43 Passage to Caribbean–Sargasso Weed, a Rainbow, Rough Seas
Day 44, Year 1: Slogging Along
Day 42, Year 1: Ride ‘em Cowboys