Day 270, Year 1: Leaving on a Friday–Not a Good Idea
Date: Friday, July 14, 2006
Weather: Squally Day
Latitude: Not Recorded
Longitude: Not Recorded
Location: Transit from Raiatea to Rarotonga, Day 1
Miles to Go:
Well, we broke our cardinal rule of never starting a transit on a Friday, and here we are with weather that was not what the weatherman predicted. Somehow it didn’t dawn on us that today was Friday until I typed the date in this log. It’s not terrible weather out here by any means, but it is a little challenging. We had hoped for calm seas with this leg of mine in a cast, but you don’t always get what you wish for. If it doesn’t get any worse than this, I’ll be happy.
We have changed our sail pattern a few times today, but as night is settling in we are sailing in 20 to 25 knot winds on the beam with a double-reefed main and the staysail out. The winds were out of the southeast but are moving more and more east as the day progresses which could mean that the trades are settling in once again. We had to roll in the headsail as it was just too lumpy. We are able to be right on course with this current combination. I feel like we are moving through a front and we once we exit on the other side, the winds might subside some. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.
We called Dr. Carlin of the World Clinic this morning to let him know about my broken leg and to give him the result of the blood tests and get his okay for the transit. We hadn’t called him previously as we were getting local care, but I wanted his take on the blood test results just to make sure all is well. Also, if there should be complications, he will be aware of the situation. He confirmed what we have been told at the hospital here-the blood tests are all in the normal range and we will continue with the daily blood thinner shots. Mark is getting quite skilled with a needle.
We said our goodbyes to the cruisers at the dock and took off around 10:30 this morning. We should arrive in Rarotonga on Tuesday or Wednesday. We called the Stuarts this afternoon and they are leaving in the morning. They will arrive in Rarotonga on Monday. They are staying at a place called Kura’s Kabana until Friday and will then move aboard the Windbird Resort. We can’t wait.
The French flag came down this afternoon. It is hard to believe that we are traveling on from French Polynesia after two wonderful months. We arrived in Fatu Hiva in the Marquesas on May 14 and left Raiatea in the Society Islands today on July 14. We didn’t get to do everything that we wanted, but we had an absolutely fabulous time. We carry with us so many wonderful memories.