2020 Life Logs, Day 255: New Phone, New Provider, Lots to Learn
Date: Saturday, September 12, 2020
Weather: Beautiful Day, Still on the Cool Side; High 69, Low 53 Degrees F
Location: At Home in The Cottage, Falmouth, MA

As of this afternoon I am in possession of my 4th phone in four years. I’m not bragging, just stating that my track record with phones is not good. I’m not sure when I made the switch from an old flip phone to a smart phone, but I do know I resisted for at least a couple of years after we returned from our sailing adventure. I do know that shortly after Mark died, I started having trouble with my phone and I switched to using his phone. It was a painful transition and the sales people at AT&T tried to tell me that his phone was old and probably wouldn’t last more than a year. I didn’t listen, but they were right. When it died, I then bought a brand new Samsung Galaxy. Again, the transition to a the new phone was painful, but I thought it was worth it because I was convinced it would last for a few years. Then I dropped it this summer and cracked the screen. I spent over $250 to have a new screen installed and then last week that new screen just went black. The phone was still working great, but if you can’t see the screen, that doesn’t do much good. Heather and Sam turned me on to the Google Pixle 3a as it has a fantastic camera. I have been taking more and more of my photos with my phone, so I decided to buy a renewed Google Pixle as they did. It was delivered this afternoon. Now I just have to figure out how to get it set up. I also switched my provider from AT&T to T-Mobile as I could be added to the Goldstone account and it would cost less each month. It arrived this afternoon while I was at the Goldstones, but we couldn’t get it set up as they had no electricity and thus, no internet. Jed was working on rerouting some electrical wiring in Ollie and Jonah’s bedroom and he was still working on it when I left after 5 pm. Plus, Heather couldn’t get my account switched over as I had left the folder at home with my AT&T account information. Once I got home, I called her on the borrowed phone and gave her my account info so she could get the service started with my same phone number. That worked. I can receive calls, messages, and email, but getting everything up and running as I want it will continue tomorrow, as will the process of working on basement organization. We made some progress today, but since we didn’t have lights in the basement because the electricity was turned off, moving things around wasn’t easy. The push is to get things set up for the start of school. The way things were set up in the spring were not ideal, so we are trying to make some improvements to accommodate at-home work spaces for Heather and Jed and at-home school spaces for Sam, Jonah, and Ollie. We know what didn’t work in the spring, but we are just not sure what will work. It will be a work in progress.

2020 Life Logs, Day 256: Day of Rest
2020 Life Logs, Day 254: September 11th