2018 Life Logs, Day 320: Free Friday
Date: Friday, November 16, 2018
Weather: Overcast, Rain Early; High 40, Low 35 degrees F
Location: At Home in The Cottage, East Falmouth, MA

Life has been moving pretty fast these days, so I gave myself the treat of a Free Friday. I started the day by getting up early to head to the gym to use the recumbent stationary bike, but first I needed to stop by Heather and Jed’s to drop off the canned goods I bought yesterday for the elementary school food drive. I arrived before 8 am, but both Sam and Jonah were already gone. Sam leaves for school before 8 am every day. Jonah’s school day doesn’t start until 9 am, but he has before school commitments on two days, one for chorus and one for band. And now he is part of a Friday before school activity called Sweatin’ It. So when I arrived, only Ollie was home and he was sitting in the kitchen with Heather. She asked if I had time to stay and listen to Ollie read Dr. Seuss’ Horton Hears a Who! Of course, I did. And what a delightful start to my day. Ollie is such an expressive reader and I loved the way he would stop and explain what was happening in the story for me. So cute. But then it was time for him to get ready to go to school and I headed on to the gym despite the unexpected pouring rain. And when I got there, the only recumbent bike was in use. Bummer. I went to the grocery store to get a few things and then went to Walmart to buy a heating pad and cold pack since I left mine at the Kanegsberg’s last week. When I got back to the gym, the bike was available. After my fall two weeks ago, I am still having to go slow on regular exercise, but biking feels good. I then went home and used the heating pad on my bad knee and it made a huge difference. I don’t know if it was the biking or the application of heat or both, but my knee was better this afternoon. So this will be a daily routine for a bit. I returned to the Goldstones after school to have Sam try on the pants I bought for him yesterday. My shopping spree was a success as he was happy with the choices and all 4 pair of sports pants I bought yesterday fit him. Hurray. I made one misjudgment, however. I didn’t buy pants for Jonah as I assumed he would be able to wear the pants Sam just outgrew. But not yet. They are still too big for Jonah, so we’ll have to do another off-Cape shopping trip to outfit Jonah. After I returned home, I had a wonderful phone conversation with Lynne Kirwin and then settled into a quiet evening. I heard from Justin tonight after his follow-up appointment with the doctor this afternoon. The doctor feels like the wound is healing nicely. It will still take a couple of weeks, but he can now stop taking the antibiotics. Such good news! And another bit of good news . . . my fish aquarium is finally starting to reach the right balance so I can add additional fish. But the two Platys that I have are pretty amazing. One of them has had babies twice since I brought them home about 6 weeks ago. Only one baby survived from the first batch, but tonight I saw 4 new babies. They are so tiny and delicate. Sure hope they survive.

2018 Life Logs, Day 321: Evolving Plans
2018 Life Logs, Day 319: First Snow of the Year