2018 Life Logs, Day 247—First Day of School
Date: Tuesday, September 4, 2018
Weather: Mostly Sunny and Hot; High 88, Low 63 F
Location: At Home in the Cottage, East Falmouth, MA

Today was the first day of school here and I was delighted to see Heather’s early morning Facebook post with photos of the boys. Sam is now in sixth grade, Jonah is in fourth, and Ollie is in first grade. Ollie and Jonah are still at East Falmouth Elementary and they walk to school. But starting in fifth grade, all Falmouth fifth and sixth graders go to Morse Pond and that requires that Sam takes the bus to school. Jonah got got up early to walk to the bus with Sam and then an hour later, Jonah and Ollie went to school. I didn’t see the boys this morning, but I did go over to see them after school. Sam’s cold was enough better to allow him to go to school, but unfortunately Heather had to come home early as she feels just terrible. I drove over to Heather and Jed’s to meet Sam when he got off the bus, but when I arrived, Heather was getting ready to walk to the school to pick up Ollie and Jonah. I offered her a ride, which she gladly agreed to, and I stayed to get a photo of Heather, Jed, Jonah, and Ollie as they walked out of the school. They walked home because the boys always prefer to walk, but I drove back and got home in time to greet Sam. He bounded off the bus looking very happy. All three boys had a good first day of school. So life is good.

I got up this morning and exercised, went to the chiropractor and got a very good report, went clothes shopping, and then had lunch with good friends. Olivia White’s niece, Alka, is visiting from Dubai in the United Arab Emirates, and we all wanted to meet her. So Olivia and Alka, Jane Wooden, Midge Frieswyk, Karen Baranowski, and I spent a delightful couple of hours at a restaurant eating good food and talking away the afternoon. After lunch, I had just enough time to stop by home to pick up the food I had bought for a first day of school dinner at Heather and Jed’s before heading there to see the boys after school. Sam and I made an after-school run to Staples to get the school supplies on his list and when we got home, there was just enough time to fix dinner before Jed and Sam had to head to a Scout meeting and Heather and I had to go vote before the polls closed. Today was busy, and tomorrow will be even busier as I try to get everything here set for my upcoming trip south. If I don’t come down with this cold, I will be leaving here by 9 am on Thursday morning. I am really looking forward to my road trip, but I am equally looking forward to getting home next week and getting back into my classes at the gym and having slower-paced days.

2018 Life Logs, Day 248—Monarch Caterpillars and Fried Green Tomatoes
2018 Life Logs, Day 246—Happy Labor Day