2018 Life Logs, Day 149—More Garden Work, No Chiropractor
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2018
Weather: Sunny and Warm; High 81, Low 55 F
Location: Home in the Cottage, East Falmouth, MA

Weather Underground tells me the high temp today was 81 degrees! I’m pretty sure that is the warmest temperature we have had this spring. It felt great, but unfortunately it was one-day event. The ten-day forecast shows daytime temps in the 60’s and even in the 50’s. So, I’m glad I enjoyed the time outside today.

I got up this morning and immediately called my chiropractor. Thankfully my back is hanging in there and allowing me to be upright, but I really hoped to see the chiropractor today. Unfortunately, tomorrow at 4 pm is the first appointment he had, so that will just have to do. In the meantime, I pushed the limits. I needed to remove sod from an area next to the house in order to plant the day lilies I got yesterday. Removing sod is not easy, even in this sandy soil, but I did it and got the day lilies planted. I took a break for lunch, went to Heather’s to check on how yesterday’s transplants were doing, and went to the hardware store to get parts needed to attach multiple hoses to my one outside faucet. Then I went to the Waquoit Feed and Seed and bought bags of compost. I needed one bag to put around the day lilies and another for my smallest raised bed. And I bought two extras ‘just in case.’ I got those unloaded and spread, and then stretched the limits a little more by opening the bags of potting soil that needed to be spread on the last of the last of the 4×8 raised beds. By this time, it was late afternoon, so I decided to wind down for the day. Ahh, but when putting the tools in the shed, I decided that I had to organize the shed a bit to make things fit. The shed is Shirley’s and has years of accumulation. It was time to put the trash out for pick up tomorrow, so I took the liberty of filling the trash can with broken items. I’m hoping to keep my bike in that garden shed, but it is going to take more cleaning up before that can happen.

It was almost 7 pm when I finally came inside. My phone rang, and it was a grand niece who just got her first teaching position. She is doing an ocean unit and needed help understanding the classification of various sea life. So, I spent a great deal of my evening typing up Aunt Judy’s Primer on Sea Life. It took a lot of time, but I gladly did it for her. I can still remember the feeling of knowing so little when I started teaching. I think it is the same for everyone. In those first years, you have to scramble every night to learn what is needed just to get you through the next day.

So now it is 11 pm and my back survived the day. It is now time to get an ice pack out of the freezer and head to bed. I’m going to try going to my Wednesday morning class at the gym. I hope my back can handle that, but I look forward to that 4 pm appointment with the chiropractor to begin the process of getting things back in alignment.

2018 Life Logs, Day 150—Thinking of Jane
2018 Life Logs, Day 148—Memorial Day in Falmouth