2018 Life Logs, Day 148—Memorial Day in Falmouth
Date: Monday, May 28, 2018
Weather: Overcast and Cool, Some Clearing Late Evening; High 64, Low 54 F
Location: Home in the Cottage, East Falmouth, MA

What a day! Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony with Sam and Jonah participating . . . grocery shopping with Heather and Jonah . . . taking time out at home . . . gardening at Heather’s with Heather and Ollie . . . dinner together at my house. And it was one of those days when a picture is worth a thousand words. There is the ‘picture’ of Sam marching in the Memorial Day Parade as the youngest of five young people representing the Boy Scouts. We knew he was doing this, so it was a joy to see, but not a surprise. But coming just a little behind Sam in the parade, came Jonah. We didn’t know he was going to be one of three little guys representing the Cub Scouts and leading the Pledge of Allegiance. So this was a surprise. Click. Get that photo quick. And then there was Ollie who watched the entire affair with great interest and seriousness. The day started with Jed leaving to take Sam and Jonah to the parade. Heather, Ollie, and I followed but Ollie took great pains in getting ready to go. He had watched Sam put on the cap and white gloves required when you are part of an honor guard. So Ollie chose a similar cap and borrowed his momma’s white gloves. Too cute. We watched the parade with great pride as Sam, and then Jonah, passed by us. Then watching them both stand at attention in front of the large gathering made us all so proud. After the ceremony, we all changed gears. Jed took Ollie and Sam to his lab at Woods Hole to get some things Sam needed to complete a 5th grade science fair display while Heather, Jonah, and I did the weekly grocery shopping. Jonah taught me how to use the hand scanner. You just scan the bar code of each item you want to purchase and put it right in a bag in your cart. When you check out, you just have to scan in the scanner info. Why didn’t I learn to do this sooner? When we all met back at Heather’s, everyone but me headed out for a special lunch to celebrate a very successful morning. I opted to go home for lunch so I could do a little dinner prep. While home, I took time to watch the four baby geese that hang out in Shirley’s yard next door. They are so cute. And then I went to a friend of Heather’s to pick up some tiger lilies. Heather’s friend, Jeanne, wanted to thin her lilies, so I gladly took what she didn’t want. Then it was time to do our traditional Memorial planting in Heather’s garden. Jonah had to work on a book report that is due this weekand Sam, with Jed’s help, worked on Sam’s science fair display board. That left Ollie, Heather, and I to do the gardening and we really enjoyed our time planting the little plants that we started from seeds a few weeks ago. Then it was off to my house for dinner. It was a lovely day and I am so happy about my back. It seems to have ‘righted’ itself. I used Ibuprofen and cold packs all day yesterday and during the night. When I got up this morning, I could still feel the tweak in my back, but I was able to stand up straight. I strapped a cold pack on my back when I left this morning and my back has been fine ever since. It is like nothing ever happened. I’ll still head to the chiropractor tomorrow, but I am just so grateful that I was able to function normally today. Thanks and praises.

2018 Life Logs, Day 149—More Garden Work, No Chiropractor
2018 Life Logs, Day 147—A Little Light at the End of Dreary Day