2017 Life Logs, Day 196: Changed Plans—No Launch Today
Date: Saturday, July 15, 2017
Weather: Partly Cloudy; High 75, Low 64 degrees F
Location: At Home in The Studio, Falmouth, MA
Plans for today were changed due to engine problems. We were planning to launch Bruce and Jane’s little sailboat, but during prep for the launch yesterday, Bruce discovered that neither engine that he has was working properly. Getting any work done on a small boat motor at this time of year requires a two to three week wait, so Heather and Jed offered to put the engine from the dinghy we bought in May on the sailboat. But then we discovered that the dinghy we bought came with a motor and trailer, but no gas can or fuel attachment–the hose with special attachments that goes between the gas can and the motor. Our motor is a Honda and Honda doesn’t allow just anyone to sell their parts. Jed had to travel off Cape to get the required attachment. Since we have to launch at high tide and that was at 1:10 this afternoon, we had to call off the launch. I was at Heather’s at 3:30 pm and Jed still wasn’t home. So maybe we launch tomorrow. I haven’t heard about that, but I’ll be prepared. Heather has a 5 pm work-related engagement, and high tide isn’t until 2:02 pm tomorrow. So we shall see.
Mid-afternoon I was at Heather’s to deliver some lavender recipes and a little book of 101 Things to Do in Sweden. When I had talked to Heather earlier, she was harvesting lavender so I ran off a few recipes I thought she might like to try. By the time I got there, the lavender harvest was completed, but I got a special tour of the garden and some lavender to bring home with me. In order to preserve it, you hang it upside down in a dark, dry place. So, when I got home I hung it in the back hallway over the dryer. It is definitely dark and definitely dry, and every time I walk to the guest bathroom, I can now smell the wonderful aroma of lavender. Lovely.